Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Militant Faith ?

So I saw an independent film a few months ago called Jesus Camp, which just got released on dvd. It was a documentary about children who grow up in evangelical homes. I saw it with two friends, one is who evangelical and the other who is agnostic. Of course we all 3 had different opinions !

I have been trying to convince as many people as possible to see this movie, but had a hard time trying to describe it. Finally, Danielle, the pastor at Journey (www.journeydallas.com) said something that put into words excatly how I felt about it. She said (on a totally unrelated subject) that while watching the news one day, she finally understood how it must feel to be a Muslim in our country. And it finally hit me: my frustration is that when people today think of Christians, they think of the people in this movie.




This is very troubling for people like myself, who are very spiritual people, and who try to follow Christ to the best of our ability. Modern evangelicals do not represent what it means to be a follower of Jesus today, yet that is what most people think of. I am also not saying that all evangelicals are horrible people who are all wrong. I am just trying to sum up the stereotyping and misconceptions that I feel.

No comments: